Thoughts and Opinions On Today's Important Issues

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

The PM Toots His Horn At The Piano



Here is Stephen Harper softening his image by singing a Beatles song "With A Little Help From My Friends" at the National Arts Centre gala over the weekend in Ottawa.

Of course it was his loyal wife who arranged this all on her own as the Globe and Mail reported,

  • "The decision was not based on lyrics or symbolism. “My husband loves the Beatles, the song was in his vocal range and that is about it,” Mrs. Harper said. “Also, it was playable by the band. Some of the Beatles' stuff uses lots of instruments and obviously it had to be something a small band could play.”

Naturally, I did not buy that silliness.

I asked a world-famous Canadian psychologist who works with troubled leaders in business and in other fields to analyse the song given his knowledge of Canadian politics as well. Here is what he said as he fisked the lyrics:

  • "It is fascinating to me that he sang the song with with Yo-Yo Ma, the cellist.

    He was the perfect partner too. His name was symbolic of the ups and downs of Harper's political career in a way that clearly the PM and his wife never realized.


    "What would you think if I sang out of tune
    Would you stand up and walk out on me

    [Obviously about the PM’s video in the Soo where he attacked the Opposition and their reaction to it as they threatened to bring down his Government]

    Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
    and I'll try not to sing out of key

    [An appeal to friends, Canadians and countrymen... Harper’s promises to the NDP and Bloc to be a good boy to salvage his Government and his personal career ambitions]

    Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends

    [Yup, from the Governor General whom he appointed in 2005 and her advisors when he put her on the spot over the constitutional crisis when it looked like there might be an Opposition Coalition Government]

    Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
    Mm, Gonna try with a little help from my friends

    [The NDP and Bloc commitment to keep him in power made him so happy]

    What do I do when my love is away
    Does it worry you to be alone

    [Concern finally for manufacturers who cannot get access to American markets and who are going out of business]

    How do you feel by the end of the day
    Are you sad because you're on your own

    [Obama’s snub of the PM over Buy American, the border, the DRIC bridge etc demonstrate that he has achieved little. He hopes no one notices.]

    Do you need anybody
    I need somebody to love

    [Members of his Party to allow him to remain as Leader for one more election especially]

    Could it be anybody
    I want somebody to love

    [Voters to give him a majority Government]


    Would you believe in a love at first sight
    Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time

    [Yes, when he was first elected as Leader and then as PM]

    What do you see when you turn out the light
    I can't tell you, but I know it's mine

    [He sees Iggy’s face in his worst nightmare!]

    "Clearly, this man is in serious difficulty. He has lost his way and his supporters. He craves attention and will do anything to get it. A typical Canadian leader too. Why he is nothing more than a Bill Clinton wanna-be on the Arsenio Hall Show in 1992 playing the sax!"