Thoughts and Opinions On Today's Important Issues

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Virtual Postman Rings More Than Twice



His virtual back is hurting from all of the emails you are sending:

1)The latest traffic data shows that the Windsor crossings and the DRIC study in particular are following the same pattern as the Blue Water Bridge crossing. Fear of ever growing traffic, followed by a bridge, followed by diminishing traffic. There is no longer any traffic justification for another bridge!

2)The blog you wrote today regarding EC Row expressway was great. I personally believe that our expressway should be handed over to the provincial government and expanded to handle the influx of trucks entering the city. If you recall, in my note that I sent you a while back I stated:

EC Row as link to Bridge
Put maintenance into the hands of the provincial/federal governments and expand EC Row. The expressway is in drastic need of maintenance/repair, which would cost the city millions upon millions. By offloading these costs to the provincial/federal governments, not only would we no longer have repairs and maintenance costs for the expressway, but also a move in the right direction to solving the false preconceptions of the “border issues”.

It is the only pre-existing option that could provide access to the Ambassador Bridge and a new border crossing (if one is ever built). Windsor is the only city I can think of that refuses to have trucks on their expressway. Add that to the fact they want to remove them from city streets as well, we might as well tell ALL trucks, and the businesses they supply, they are not welcome to do business in our city.

After the embarrassing display our mayor put on during council on Monday regarding The Junction, not to mention the Ambassador Bridge, its already clear investment isn't welcome in Windsor. Very sad.

3) I have been faithfully reading your blog for the past few months and have to commend you on your "no holds bar" approach on various city matters. Its about time that someone writes what everyone else is thinking or has lack of knowledge in.

This letter is a friendly thank you for seeing the truth about how the city railroaded George and Chuck.

However there is another fact that I would like to point out about the possibility and most likelihood of the Junction going bankrupt. The Junction is one of Windsor's oldest buildings, being erected in the late 1800's. The building once house Windsor first streetcars (original tracks still remain under the floor), then house the Windsor Rollerdome and so on. George
understood the importance of this building in society and during various reconstructions kept in mind its historical significance . In doing so, The Junction as it stands now still has original brick, 120 year old sliding streetcar doors and a few original Edison lights.

The city is only looking at the business and has no concerns about what will happen to this building that once played a vary important role in our community. Much like the Capitol (a whole different story!). Today, it seems like most of our heritage is only being preserved if the city owns the building or has majority of say.

As you can tell I have very strong feelings towards the Junction and what will happen to it. I can tell you - Windsor will need to hire the best lawyers OUR money can by to get out of this situation they put themselves in. George and Chuck are very savvy business men and have largely documented every step they took and formal or informal steps from the city.

I have attached a photo of The Junction when it was used as Windsor's Transit in the 1930's. You can see the original wood sliding doors.

I look forward to your next blog!

4) Ed, is it me or just the thought.....
They are going to announce the probable, not firm new truck route for a crossing in August, I think?
Maybe I'm being petty, but why is it being presented just before elections?
Spend our money to fix a problem and buy votes.
The road could and should have been engineered years ago. Like when the Flibby's took office.
There was some kind of promise then I think? Or was I dreaming.
I can hear it now just as we go to the polls....
We fixed the border. Elect us to finish the job,.........by 2020.
Excuse me while I beat my head against my desk. It's not as painful as listening to more lies.


5) RE the Teflon memo...I know I have said this before but this is your best one yet!