Thoughts and Opinions On Today's Important Issues

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Where The Deer And Antelope--And Gazelles --Play In Economic Gardens


We have a new CEO for the Economic Development Commission. I wish him the best of luck. He has a very difficult job to do after years of neglect by our Mayor.

I happened to get a copy of his speech on February 16 and was most interested in his "gazelles" and "economic gardening." Obviously, he must have known that Eddie read the book "The World is Flat" at least 5 times since that was thrown in too

Gazelles are "high growth companies" in the community and are small-to mid-sized companies that experience 20% and more growth per year. Only 2% are in the high tech sector (Darn, there goes Eddie's IT dream).

"Economic gardening" is a new approach to job creation. It is identifying gazelles and then cultivating and encouraging them in our community.

At least his travel budget will be kept down since in his view, out of 100 new jobs, 55 will come from existing businesses increasing jobs, 44 will come from new local "mom and pop" shops and only one will come from a new business attracted here.

But with businesses closing down here, there go a lot of those "55" jobs but then again, maybe more "44" jobs will be created as the unemployed start new businesses with their new skills from the Provincial Liberals' job retraining programs to be announced just before the election.

Here is some heresy for him. Start telling people we do NOT have a border problem and trucks are moving in Windsor. Perhaps he might even convince the Mayor to talk to the Bridge Co. properly and get them to help both with the border and new "distribution and logistics" job creation as part of an economic diversification strategy to take advantage of our unique border position.

In case he does not have their number, the Chair, Remo Mancini, must still have it in his Rolodex since he used to work there for many years!

Here is a letter Mr. Fischer sent out recently. I really got concerned however when I read the line "This will be a chance for me to put my theories into practice in a real-life, fast-paced environment."

Perhaps if we had hired someone who had actually brought in new jobs and had practical experience, I might not feel so nervous.

Sounds like we are guniea pigs for his theories doesn't it? I hope they work!

  • Dear Clients and Friends:

    On Friday Feb. 16th it was announced that I had accepted an appointment as the new CEO of the Windsor-Essex County Development Commission.

    Obviously this means putting my consulting practice on hold.

    I want to thank each and every one of you for the business you have given me over the last ten years, for the support I have received throughout my career and the valued friendships which I trust we will be able to carry on.

    As many of you will know, the City of Windsor and Essex County are facing a significant economic challenge. This will be a chance for me to put my theories into practice in a real-life, fast-paced environment. I am very excited about this opportunity.