Thoughts and Opinions On Today's Important Issues

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Answer To Question 20

O, woe is me, To have seen what I have seen.

Actually, I did not see anything as you shall see.

Remember that list of DRIC questions I posted the other day in my BLOG "The 20 Questions The DRIC Lobbyists Won't Dare Answer." In effect, to P3 or not to P3 DRIC. That was the big question.

I have to ask the tough questions of DRIC supporters. I must be cruel, only to be kind to taxpayers.

I got this invitation in the mail. Well, technically, it was not sent to me exactly but who cares I got it. It came from Senator Basham of Michigan, one of the big DRIC supporters. It was sent to a number of Legislators:
  • "Dear Colleagues:

    A number of you have approached me with questions regarding the bridge issue. Based on the questions, there is a lot of misunderstanding of the details the history and benefits of the Detroit River International Crossing (DRIC).

    In partnership with Representative Rashida Tlaib, Canadian government officials, Detroit Regional Chamber, MDOT and other representatives that have been involved in this important issue from the beginning, we have coordinated a luncheon on Tuesday, May 11th at 12:30 p.m. in Room 424 of the Capitol Building.

    This is a time to ask all your questions and get the facts, history and information needed to make a well‑informed decision on this issue.

    To RSVP or if you have any questions, please contact [Name of person] in Rep. Tlaib's office at 373‑0823."

    Sincerely,

    RAYMOND E. BASHAM

    State Senator

    8th District

O what a rogue and peasant slave am I. I might have thought about crashing the luncheon but I knew there are no free lunches in Michigan. Except if Canada is lending UP TO $550M. After all, rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind and foreclose if there are defaults in loan agreements.

In any event, I did not want to create an international incident similar to what happened at the White House dinner with the gate-crashers so I sent this note instead:

  • "Dear Senator Basham,

    Regretfully, I am unable to attend your luncheon today. Perhaps though I could impose on you and ask if these 20 questions could be answered by the DRIC people:"

I then listed the Blogged 20 Questions. Though this may seem like madness, yet there is method in 't. Obviously, I felt that something was rotten in the State of Michigan regarding P3s so I was hoping for answers.

How weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. I tried, I really did. I wanted those questions answered for you, dear reader, and for Michigan Legislators too. I wanted them to know that the State should neither a borrower nor a lender be. If the P3 companies could not find the cash, it was their tough luck.

Alas and alack (more Hamlet language just for you) my inside moles at the luncheon told me that Representative Tlaib who did most of the talking did not even mention my questions never mind answer them. She made some comments about the Ambassador Bridge Company I was told. However, the lady doth protest too much, methinks.

That it should come to this. I am truly sorry. All is not well. Howver, I did get an answer to Question 20

  • Q. How many of my questions will they answer?

    A. None.

Hardly a suprise is it. If they had answered any of them, Tlaib and Basham would have been hoist by their own petard.

With all of the drama and theatrics of the Guv's breathless intervention, it's true on the DRIC file: the play 's the thing.