Thoughts and Opinions On Today's Important Issues

Friday, July 24, 2009

Will CUPE Vote "NO" Again



It would not surprise me if it happened at the ratification meetings on Friday. Another big NO vote unless the City Negotiating Team and the Mediator keep Eddie under wraps until the vote is over. Who wants another Mayoral screw-up.

And I could support that point of view easily provided certain actions are agreed to. I also believe, as I shall BLOG, that CUPE members can have their cake and eat it too with a much smaller risk that should be considered as well.

The end of the strike had been predicted to me over the weekend by some CUPE veterans when picket assignments this week were very late in coming out. Then a BBQ yesterday with no picketing I was told. Nothing other than a settlement had to be the explanation.


Word was out the other night that there was a deal as I BLOGGED but no one would give me "official" confirmation then. Afraid of being accused of a leak I guess.

I have already speculated a bit what might be in the offer from the City but one CUPE person already wrote to me early Thursday morning saying:
  • "Told it's not that great but will find out tomorrow [Friday]."

My best guess is that there will be a better Protocol, more protection for temps, no PRBs for new hires and increased signup bonuses and perhaps a bigger wage increase. Will Councillor Marra be screwed again or will that be dropped? Effectively it will be similar to what the City offered before with a bit more sweeteners because of Eddie's Protocol fiasco. Still in the circumstances, a big win for CUPE considering their Governmental Oppostion although it will not be portrayed that way in the media.

But who knows and why speculate.

What we do know is that the vote will NOT be a slam-dunk for going back to work since there are many angry CUPE members who will feel as if they have been sacrificed and sold out after being on strike for so long. Just watch the stories being spread that it was all done for Toronto!

What have they accomplished other than losing 3 months of pay and being abused by the Windsor Star and made the subject of attack by Windsorites?

In the short run, there is pain, a lot of it. In the long run, CUPE Windsor scared the hell out of the politicians and bureaucrats managing this file. They made Eddie look foolish and damaged his reputation with those who count.

Because of Eddie's inability to execute a plan properly and CUPE's pig-headedness in the face of massive opposition, the strike went on much longer than expected. There is no doubt that the union crushers will have to regroup. It will NOT be the push-over that they thought! In my opinion, CUPE Windsor saved themselves a lot of grief down-the-road by their strong stand although they may NOT appreciate it yet. And they helped workers across Canada.

It was presumptuous before for me to tell CUPE members how to vote and it is again. But when has that stopped me before from giving my opinion!

Senior was right this time around (but that does NOT mean that CUPE should join up with the CAW as some had hoped. His "FO" with Eddie sounded like pure theatre to me.)

  • "We had to make the necessary compromises to live to fight another day," he concluded.

    As difficult as it was -- Lewenza described it as "torturous" -- he knew when to fold 'em...

    But, said Parent, Lewenza knew the companies and the governments weren't bluffing. If he hadn't fought every step, the union would have lost more. Still, he knew he had to be flexible. He knew he had to both meet the demands and protect his members.

    "Put yourselves in the homes of the 9,000 members we represent and the 60,000 people in spinoff jobs," Lewenza told his bargaining committee.

    "This bargaining touched the heart and soul of what the union stands for -- protecting its members," he said in an interview this week."

There is no doubt that there is Government pressure on Unions. I spoke with a Government insider late last week who said that Sandra and Dwight had little impact on this situation since it was being run out of Toronto. I took that to me the Premier's Office but who knows the truth.

There is no way that CUPE could win with a well-thought out strategy against them and a $24M and counting strike fund in Eddie's hands.

But hanging in for 100 days....Wow!

There are too many hardship stories that I have heard so not wanting to continue on is a viable option. However, CUPE was prepared to continue last week and did. Why not do it again? Send a message...fight more.

If I truly believed that Union leadership had an aggressive plan or maybe any plan to win after a NO vote I would advocate for it. However, I see no sign of that as I have seen no sign of it throughout the strike. They have been outgunned completely with little help from their Ontario and National HQs that I can see.

In that case, why carry on and keep on losing salary when the fight will inevitably be lost. Helping other workers is terrific but does not pay the mortgage or buy food. I have not seen a flood of cash from other working unionists come pouring in to help out CUPE members who are struggling.

In my opinion, it is better for CUPE members to vote YES and to live to fight another day! And that day can be very soon if CUPE members have the guts to carry on outside of the collective agreement route.

NOTE: I expect that the Protocol will demand the end of OLRB claims against the City and it will be a deal-breaker if opposed. I am sure that you, dear reader, can guess why.

Instead, keep a salary coming, put a bit aside for a fight and do so collectively so no one person can be the target and disciplined would be my approach.

What exactly should be done. Let me explain.

I was out for dinner last night with my wife and daughter when by complete co-incidence I parked behind a Councillor's car. We saw each other and the Councillor jokingly asked me if I was "instructing Jean and Jim" and "was I running to be the CUPE President!"

I should have answered that I only write a BLOG so why give me this kind of smart remark. I confirmed that I did not instruct anyone and, being a bit mischievous, said I was not running for that office but for that of the Mayor of Windsor! (Remember that my name came up at the last CUPE meeting. I would never run or else my family would disown me!)

I did have a role in settling this strike but as a BLOGGER. I will take my credit in a separate BLOG but the important fact is that some at City Hall believe that I had a role and they know my litigation approach is a very strategic and an aggessive one.

With that background, understand that CUPE workers could still win more but the road to that additional gain is a difficult one with no certainty of success. But there is a good chance of winning or I would not be talking about it. It has to be carefully thought out and staged just perfectly with the right people with expertise doing the battling. Like a successful military operation.

CUPE workers have no choice in my opinion but to vote YES. However, if they do want their "day in court," there are other and less risky ways to achieve it.

It may well be that everyone is sick of this and just want to get on with their lives. I can respect that too.

To me the issue at the meeting is NOT which way the vote is going to go but what happens next! My opinion on this is just as clear. CUPE must keep on fighting but using a different tactic. The battle may have been partially lost on the surface but the war can continue on!

CUPE Generals and the troops just need some creative thinking, strategic advice and better planning. It could be fun to put on pressure elsewhere now.

Oh and in case you are wondering, I am very happy remaining a BLOGGER, not an instructor. Mind you, if the strike is over, I will have a lot of free time on my hands.

PS. If someone wants to invite me to the strike vote meetings as an Observer, I will NOT say NO but will vote YES.