Thoughts and Opinions On Today's Important Issues

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

First Day Back


What it was like returning to work on the first day after a 15 week strike in which you and your colleagues were painted as Public Enemy Number 1. Just read along.

1) As you may have guessed, I have not even GONE to bed after last night !! Anyways, I know there is ALOT of garbage out there. I've been monitoring my neighbourhood. It's a well manicured, mostly senior citizen, block. And I've had scabs come to my door a couple of times offering to take the garbage. But I haven't really seen my neighbours giving their garbage to scabs. We all have garages. It will be VERY interesting to see just how much garbage is out there. My poor husband, just bought a brand new vehicle last summer, he said to me "please open the garage door everyday when you are home, I don't want it to smell like trash". Poor guy! He's been very supportive. And BTW, he has worked ALL his life in MANAGEMENT at various plants in the area. He said himself, it was DISPICABLE what the managers did, flaunting O/T cheques in workers faces. He deals alot with grievances and arbitration hearings. He said in all his career, he has NEVER seen anything like what happened the last 15 weeks.

2) Just an FYI ...got a call from my supervisor yesterday as did many and surprisingly I had nothing to say. I was overwhelmed with bitterness to hear her voice welcoming me back. Usually when it comes to work I would hide any distain to my employer but today I just couldn't. All I could manage was O.K ? followed by a long pause, a very uncomfortable conversation to say the least. First off we did not expect a call, only the temp workers were expecting them to confirm returning. Second what response do I give "Thanks for doing my job for 15 weeks?" I'm sure they were told to call but really they should have left sleeping dogs lye the pain is still fresh and and the financial sting if far from over. Monday is going to be a odd day to say the least seeing the s**t we have to clean up. This is not going to be pretty, I for one will not work a minute extra. I was never a very union girl but after all we have lost or given up I will never look at my job the same way again.

3) tomorrow marks a big day for my coworkers returning to work... This strike gave my husband a little more leverage in his continual efforts to get me to leave this city... regardless, just wanted to say I WILL continue to read your blogs and your link will remain a permanent fixture in my 'favorites'

4) Back to work tomorrow. I think that the wounds will heal sooner that later. The one thing that I will carry with me is Ms. Swift's comments against the strike. I will carry on with my boycott of businesses that support CFIB. I have, until now, made it a point to support the independent businesses. It saddens me that I have to turn my back on the places that have been so good to me, but until they recind their memberships, or CFIB appologizes, I will spend my fair wage elsewhere.

Thank you again for your blog.

5) Anxious to get back to work tomorrow. I heard that the Executive Directors of the departments were told not to hold any sort of celebrations for the returning workers. I also heard that in one Department, there will be breakfast provided (probably bagels, pastry, etc) however, it will simply be left in the common area of the department for employees to help themselves, no announcements or welcoming words to go along with it. Hummmm we'll just have to wait and see.

In any event...I will continue to follow your blog. The perspectives that you provide certainly are thought provoking.

Keep the faith!!

6) More B.S. (the Star is really laying it on thick tonight on the eve of our return for some reason):

"Mayor Eddie Francis was optimistic on the eve of the workers’ return, saying the feedback he’s gotten from some employees over the weekend has been very positive.

“They are really excited to be back to work,” he said. “Although there will be some who will continue to try to pick away at the past 15 weeks, that’s not going to heal the wounds of the past 15 weeks. You can’t look back and you can’t pick away. From our perspective, we’re moving forward. This is a new day for the employees and the community.”

WHO's picking away? Thank goodness I work with, and for, amazing people who are professional enough that they'll continue to do their jobs in the best interests of the taxpayers.

OK, I've got to get to bed. You've got enough material to keep you busy for another couple of months! LOL.

7) Ed, I wanted to personally thank you too, for being the voice of reason and helping me mentally digest why things are happening on a level that cannot be found out there. I know it must take an enormous amount of your time and jugding from the other letters you've posted, I see, I'm not the only one. So, WE thank YOU!!

I'm very excited and happy to return to work today. The department I work in is like family. I am positive our Managers will also be very happy to see us and will welcome us with open arms. I personally don't hold any grudges against them. I also know a good portion of my job was completed while I was away and I'm relieved I don't have a huge pile to deal with. I know they had to do what they had to do and I had to do what I had to do. What most of us are upset about is the Mayor and Council and how they could have let it go on the long. Considering the deal we got, which we really couldn't have asked for more, it's a awesome deal, why did it seem to all come together within the last week?!! Couldn't they have been with forthcoming about 14 weeks ago or even not let this happen?! How many of us nearly lost our minds, let alone our financial stability?! That's were the animosity is.

Anyways, I'm so glad to have run into your blog and I will be a follower for years to come, as long as you're still there writing it, Ed.

8) your almost as good as having a husband to talk to, maybe better. Yes, I will take particular note of how we are treated. I can tell you right now I am not anxious to go back. There are a lot of bad feelings.

9) Our managers were very polite to us when we came back including ones that
were not very nice wich I felt very questionable about that. The fear of
going into the public and scares alot of guys working the road today
because of the way the media and The so called paper of windsor expressed
their opinions of the workers. We feel we are under the watchful eye of
the public wich makes the process of us working slow down in turn costing
tax payer more money. Eddi Franciss has caused alot of damage that will
take a long time to heal but we all know that it wont heal until he is
removed from office and put ina normal job wear he is accountable for his
actions.

10) It's weird!..but everyone is genuinely happy we're back. Lots of hugs between supervisors and workers. My supervisor said they all found out just how difficult and complex our job is, and are much more appreciative of us workers. No animosity at all, even though there is a scab here, right from the beginning of the strike.

I must say, when I took a break outside, I hid from everyone's view in case there was a CUPE hater filming me!!..kind of paranoid now.

11) my immediate superior told me she was proud of me on saturday -- proud of all the strikers -- and was happy (and relieved?) to tell me to report to work on monday.

i've never had a problem with my manager where i work -- so that has never been nor is likely to ever be an issue for me. i suspect things might be different elsewhere in the city?

the strike may be over but there are still plenty of unresolved issues in this city... i was pretty politicized to begin with, but i think in general locally those numbers have swelled in recent months by these events. a more engaged citizenry now? we shall see.

12) My first day was ok. Boss was happy to see is. Noticed many errors in their work though.

13) there was only one emplyee from their staff [Nane of company] that made a rude comment and additude this morning when they came into work , I greeted then with a HAPPY we're back!!! she mumble YA I SEE THAT with an additude.... what a B____ I knew she if any body would be rude to us.. it up set me at first but then the rest of the staff made up for it as they came into work soooooooo there is one in every work place..... tommorrow is another day.... and pay back are a B____ too. have a good one ED see ya on the puter

14) Nothing has changed with management. 5 minutes in and the same BS starts.
Positive responce from public,not one negative comment today.

Its gunna be a tough Lonnnnnnnng road ahead.

I am actively seeking other employment. I am prepared to give up my good job and PBRs so i dont have to put up with the city/managements BS.

If the Mayor is reading this and would like to save some more taxpayer money, buy my PBRs for 75 grand and im outta here

15) You could cut the tension with a knife. Management acted as though nothing was going on and it was business as usual.

we are expected to get 15 weeks worth of work done in 2 days. ZERO over time. We
are also expected to 'offer input' into being more effecient now that the strike is over. BS.

Some things remain the same. A clear consorted effort to degrade us and the work we do. We are told this is the way its going to be and to like.

No more 'free' work from me and I will no longer do managements job. In
fact, let the brain drain begin. Myself with a number other professionals are looking for work elsewhere.

The city's whole IRIDE PROGRAM is a load of crappola!

16) I just arrived home from my first day back and it was AWESOME! I am so elated to be back at work. It was busy busy busy. Phones were ringing off the hook, lots of clients came in to register for programming, many of whom were very appreciative. I cannot tell you how many folk took the time to tell me and my co-workers that they were happy to see us back or just a simple 'welcome back'. I feel so great today. It is a great day in the City of Windsor!!!

17) work today was okay, i was very apprehensive going in. more so because i voted No on friday and was disappointed with the end results of my fellow union members.

my supervisor approached me with a great big hug and a sigh of relief. at 9:00am was a scheduled meeting... it did appear when the supervisor was addressing the last 15 weeks and her experiences she was teary eyed. other than my supervisor, no higher ups showed their face.

tons of uncompleted work were left ....many requests and forms were dated back to april to current....not too sure how some co-workers approached the work left, but most i spoke with, decided work to rule. took 1 1/4 hours for lunch which is deducted from our pay and two breaks....

18) Hi Ed, back to work, except for the shoulder-high weeds, like we never left.

I hear ["X"] positions are being eliminated, and that at least ["Y"] positions are going to be cut.

oh, and they're not going to pay us for the Civic Holiday

beatings will continue until morale improves... guess they better drop another big wad of money on a full colour IRIDE mailing, featuring smiling people who DON'T WORK HERE..

19) As relayed from my wife...

She was feeling anxious about returning to work. It wasn't because of returning to work with her manager, but rather with what type of reaction she would receive from the general public; being on the "front line". There were no issues whatsoever. She did feel lethargic at the four hour mark, however. :)

The managers were all very nice to the workers as far as my wife was involved. There was more tension between members in specific cases than between workers/management.

20) Work was great! My manager welcomed everyone with open arms, even bought us lunch. It was quite busy with phone calls. We were also calling clients to inform them of [deleted] due to "the work stoppage" Most clients reregistered into upcoming programs and were friendly. There were a lot of "Welcome backs," I for one didn't have an opportunity to communicate with any one that seemed disgruntled or rude. It was a busy but wonderful day.

21) I was greeted by a 10:00 appt in the office.

Then I was advised I would be completing 3 applications a day until the backlog of appts is cleared up.

Just to clarify we normally complete 4 appts a week- but due to this backlog we have been assigned 15 appts this week and next week.

When we asked Supervisors how we could manage such a task - they were NOT sympathetic and responded- "what do you think we have been doing for the past 14 weeks". It is not like we were on this extravagant vacation and left them to do our work.

Clearly they did not miss us as "people"- Just us doing the work...What a welcome slap in the face.

22) Seeing that I attempted to treat people with as much respect and dignity as possible during an intollerable situation, I believe that most recipricated in kind. My day started with several welcomong and positive greetings from supervisors and managers who genuinely sounded as if they were glad that it's over. Later when I was working around members of the public, with the Creator above as my witness, I was met with a litany of good will, honks for support, thumbs up by passers by, several handshakes and even a pat on the shoulder. One gentleman going into city hall to pay his taxes even said that he didn't mind the increase, having seen me busy at my job. Despite the Star's somewhat effective campaign to make us appear to be parriahs over the past three months, I simply didn't get that vibe from the majority of citizens that I encountered. Perhaps a growing number of people were able to see the other side of the dispute via your site. A very well deserved cheers and thank you.

23) I felt a lot of tension where I work. Kind of just a nod and no discussion. Very unusual environment.

24) Hi Ed, well here's my story:

My first day went pretty well, after getting there about 8:20 and seeing that my scan card worked on the parking underground again, that was a relief!! Then I got upstairs, got a nice hug and welcome from the Executive Director of my department, as well as from the Manager I work for. The Manager had called me at home on Saturday to welcome me back to work also. I had heard that some other managers had done similar things.

The coffe kiosk on the 1st floor was offering free small coffees to all returning workers, so that was really nice of them as well.

All in all, I am glad to be back and was made to feel very welcomed and no hard feelings on anyone's part. Of course, not all departments are the same. I was quite satisfied and don't feel at all out of place there now.

Anyways, when I put out my Mount Francis this Wednesday, I will try and remember to take a pic and send it to you. There is alot !! Have a nice evening!!

25) He was home by 4:45 he was a bit tired. I said on a scale from 1 to 10 how was it and he said good about 8.

The supervisor was very glad to see his guys and said this strike was too long and should not have happened. He said to my husband I am glad everyone is back especially you that made my husband day.

He called me twice at noon (I think he missed me LOL) I did not want to call him I figured if he had a problem he would call me. He said everyone was pleasant and glad to be back. He laughed and said so and so is back smoking though after all these years !!! He got stressed on the picket line so someone gave him a cigarette.

I tried to take a break from ALL of it for the last few days it's funny how some things can consume you. I am thankful for routine back in my life.

26) my hubby said it was "pretty good", he had about 6 people come out and
tell him "welcome back" and someone came and brought him out a bottle
of water. Nobody was really pissy or mouthy with him, overall just a
good day.

27) The return was a great one. We were greeted with lots of hugs, and a welcome back reception in the boardroom. On each of our desks was a “welcome back” [gift]. The atmosphere was very upbeat and managers and employees shared a few strike stories from both sides.

Across the street, I heard that things were quite tense. I didn’t experience anything personally, but have been advised that it may be better to work [name of place] this week until things settle down.

A bit of a slap in the face to be told by City Council that full-time permanent staff can’t work overtime but the managers can call in all kinds of temps to work full-time to help us catch up on our work.

28) I was never so excited to go to work on a Monday morning, ever! Until today! I had a great first day! It was like going back to high school after being off for a very long summer. Actually, greeting everyone with open arms, except for the Mayor, as he isn't a part of my department, and even if he was, I'm sure he would have been by-passed by each and every one of us. (If I were him, I would have made sure to have some out-of-office appointments, to avoid any possible confrontations.) Management was very happy to see us back; it was very genuine, too. Our desks were cleaned, snacks for us, and a lovely welcome-back gift for each of us from supervisors!

Although, when we talked only amongst ourselves, it was about the strike and how ridiculous it was to have taken so long, how depressed we were while we were off, how much weight we’ve gained and how we didn't get a thing done around the house, mostly due to lack of ambition, but it didn't matter anyways since there was no money anyways. Expressions were made, of hope, to never have to endure such degraded humiliation nor experience such overwhelming frustrations of helplessness. Disappointment in the public, we served relentlessly, who didn't get it and felt we were insignificant and worthy of no more than a pittance. Or worse, when it’s your our own family members or neighbours! But still, all the staff were beamingly happy; big smiles; obvious relief to be back, to resume our normal lives.

Management also expressed how delighted they were to hear our voices again, after the welcoming and greetings, as it was way too quiet while we were away. They pretty much left us alone for the remainder of the day, to get re-familiar with our desks. Some of us couldn't remember our passwords to log-on, to wade our way through our quite enormous backlog of messages, that gathered in our inboxes, from when we were so abruptly cut off from accessing, the very hour the strike was announced, 14 weeks ago; can you imagine?!

Only a couple of annoying individuals asked for things that I had totally no idea about; I've been gone for 3 months!! Oh, and the best part was a young guy telephoning to see if we were hiring! LOL! “Ah, it's our first day back after being on strike for 3 months, we might need a day or two to get our bearings...”

It was a fast day, to say the least but I’m sure by Friday, everything will feel like normal again and we’ll be thrilled for the weekend! But it sure does feel good to finally be back!!

29) Well i have some info. There were contractors cutting today and local 82 was pissed. The new agreement has not been signed and they called their legal eagles to see how a wildcat strike would fly. Imagine that!!

The city sent the contractors on their way. Now brister asks administration tonight to find out the cost of contracting out services.

Seems like its not ending eh?

30) At the Parks Dept greenhouse workers were treated to a large "WELCOME BACK ' banner , coffee, pastries. Hopefully things will turn around in time.

31) I really, really, really, really, really hated picketing, very, very, very, very, very badly...

32) it was great to be back to work today. It was like the first day of school. My boss shared stories about what he went through during the strike...as we did with him. But what still bothers me is I saw a lot of those SCABS whi tried to run us over many times at the drop-off sites. Also...the strike ended Friday and I was informed that management worked a ton of over-time on Saturday and Sunday cleaning up Mic Mac when the Special Olympics had over 1000 volunteers .I'd sure like the taxpayers to know exactly how much it cost them in unnecessary overtime. Some management made more money than our 400 part-time workers make in a year. AND TO BOOT...Bristor brought up contracting out jobs at tonite's council meeting...nothing like sticking a knife in our backs AGAIN. I'm still very bitter with Eddie Faucet and his six drips...or is it seven. It will take me a long time to get over this one.