Thoughts and Opinions On Today's Important Issues

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Readers Write


Just a few notes from readers like you. I look forward to receive yours.

There is one from another Councillor asking to be removed from my mailing list. But it's OK. I find that I have some new readers from the County to replace him!

My oh my some of our Councillors are so sensitive. I guess that they don't like hearing from citizens. Mind you Councillor Gignac congratulated those people who appeared as delegations on the airport matter and asked questions last night.

I wonder if I should expect an email from her asking to come back on my list.

Speaking of the airport and hearing from citizens, at Council, WeACT's Chris Schurr asked that the Airport matter be deferred for one week so that Councillor Dilkens who went on the European jaunt and who was not at Council could report on his findings. After all, they deferred a PAC matter because he was away. He also wanted to see and to be able to digest the report of Ms Nazzani the Airport GM which Council had seen but was not distributed on the website for the public to view.

Councillor Halberstadt thought deferral for one week made sense but he could not even get a seconder on his Motion!

1) Please remove me from your mailing list.

Thank you.

Fulvio Valentinis

2) Hello Ed,

I particularly enjoyed your weekend rant. Like you, I'm increasingly mad as hell and determined to see 'regime change' in 2010. Why don't you run Ed? You would have my full support

3) Okay Ed calm down a bit. Don't get your drawers in a knot over the shenanigans continually going on. You have writers burn out and rightfully so. Take a deep breath Ed, square breathing, one, two, three, four.

So much has been going on. I can barely keep up with your blog never mind get through tax season and try to keep abreast of the daily news. Geez, is this purposely going on to keep us all crazy?

The only thing I want to comment on today is the lack of publicity on the March 6th Summit for the Alternative Manufacturing Opportunities. Maybe I have missed the marketing boat but I only read the headlines on-line, and that was on the Chatham Daily News (?) because Pat Hoy is involved. If Sir Ed is not leading something, then nothing is published in The Star (at least the on-line edition).

You are spot on about the community. We have a one man show trying to lead and direct every possible project on his own. What people are forgetting is that we have two MPP's that are working also, trying to bring investment to this community and we have a Mayor that doesn't seem to want to be associated with them. Really sad. We have no room or time for egos in this economy. I'm starting to think he plots his calendar around every event that is hosted in town by the Libs. Maybe he is just not invited. Will be interesting to see if he even attends and we are actually going to be there on the 6th as I think this is a great initiative for the region. Anything to get this damned economy rolling again.

4) I can't help but feel the Globe & Mail's's article title is a cheap shot at Windsorites :(

And as an educated (ie non-high school dropout) Windsor-area-ite this makes me quite sad.

"Ken Lewenza: They didn't take Windsor out of the boy"

5) Hi Ed,

Thanks for the e-mail about your special weekend blog posting, I just finished reading it. Certainly interesting stuff during this winter weather…just like you said.

BTW: Please don’t leave Windsor… Who else will give us your unique style and insight of what is really going on in this region? I know….how about I organize a massive assembly and letter writing campaign to urge your stay....would that help? I can call up all the letter writers, and maybe have 500 for you by next week…lol

6) I just read your post/rant. Believe me when I tell you that my monitor is still dirty with toast crumbs and coffee.

7) RE Rants 1&2 Way ahead of you Ed! Two years till retirement and my girl friend and I are just finishing a new home somewhere else, nowhere near Wastessex!

8) You gotta find a picture of a Jazz aircraft and somehow superimpose one of those bumper stickers "Out of a job yet - keep buying foreign".

9) Add this to the mix.............if the city applies to Infrastructure Ontario for any grants / loans etc for the airport..........will they have to be disqualified since there is now an IO exec on the board? Also - given that IO is the delivery mechanism for the new DRIC road, will this VP from IO be involved in that project and as such, be at odds with the city? It is all very confusing.

10) What about the Bride of Greenlink for the name

11) Great columns today Ed!

I know of another way the city can save another 4 clerical jobs or re-invest it into neighbourhoods (like the ward funds that were never used yet are desperately needed).

Send out RFPs to replace the parking meter attendants. If you recall, a few years back council had the option to go to a private firm to enforce parking alleviating approx. $500,000 from the city's budget but backed down.

If the budget is so tight why are we not putting this proposal foward? Shouldn't the taxpayer be getting the biggest bang for their buck? Are we not supposed to look at all options in times of struggle?

If Bert Weeks could build more than 5 parks parks under his tenure, balance the budget and still move Windsor forward and all this during the rotten 1970s then why haven't we been able to do anything in good times and now stall during the bad?

It seems to me we are just a ship without a rudder, captain and sails. I just hope we don't bash ourselves across the looming rocks.

12) Was there ever an audit done for Huron Lodge?

13) Craig Pearson from the Windsor Star has written an amazing article in the Windsor Star

Here is the linK: http://www.windsorstar.com/Life/Capitol+tragedy/1300373/story.html

I know I've asked before, but I am sincerely asking for your support once again.

The struggle isn't quite over yet. Please take just a moment to write a comment of support... send this link to your family and friends who love the Capitol also.

Please encourage all the positive reasons why the Capitol should be kept for its intended use, why it's important. If people see it enough, they will respond...think...discuss....and help to keep the faith.

14) I find it interesting that Sandra uses her office to get Red Bull money
yet she doesn't get involved with DRIC or any other projects due to
some vague policy.

Meanwhile, the Leamington Hospital will be cutting back patient care due to
lack of funds. The money from Red Bull would have more than covered it...

Her office must have been created to give away money to foreign corporations.

15) [Re: Can the WEDC matter get any worse] HI ED.

If what you are saying is not the truth then nothing is for sure.

16) [Re Windsor's Swinging Downtown] You have to be losing it. My God Ed, what are you thinking?

The Capital is still one of my favorite small venues in what's left to this wasteland. The acoustics are great and the husband and I have enjoyed many a concert and play there. Why is it that we can't get this place going for ANYTHING?

Please, I would rather see the Capital demolished than see a Swinger's Club. There's plenty of that going in in the bars.

17) Trucks have disappeared everywhere

18) Hey Ed….I know you're serious, the mess and circumstance is pretty bad…..The experts I’ve been speaking with have never seen housing/property issues this bad.

We do need something to save this region