Thoughts and Opinions On Today's Important Issues

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Security Forces To End Greenlink

As I've written before with respect to this matter, it is inevitable that the various security groups on both sides of the river including Customs will tell the DRIC people, if they have not told them already, that Greenlink just doesn't work from a security perspective. In fact, I'm surprised that the DRIC road has gone as far as it has since in my view it is a security risk as well.

You see these Schwunnels and shunnels and tunnels, whether long or short, are a concern. No need to try and cause damage to a bridge that is well protected when blocking a road to the bridge accomplishes the same purpose and so much more easily.

Roads became a huge issue in Port Huron as far as US Customs was concerned. They will become one here too I predict.

Accidents, tunnel threats and tunnel problems all result in disruption of trade between Canada and the United States. Isn't what those who want to destroy our economies are prone to do even if they do nothing. A threat to damage is enough to close the road down, never mind something real.

Of course, some of you are nonbelievers and don't think that anything like this could happen. If you listened to the news the other day you would have heard about the closing down of Hwy. 400 for hours. The story is reprinted below.

It really doesn't take much of an imagination to figure out what someone could do who wants to hurt border trade considering what happened just north of Toronto.

Greenlink R.I.P.

Highway 400 reopened after bomb threat
Date: Feb 26, 2008

A tense roadside standoff ended peacefully overnight Monday after a man surrendered to police after threatening to blow himself up along the shoulder of Highway 400.

The incident began shortly before 9:30 p.m. when a man pulled a silver Honda Civic onto the shoulder of the highway’s southbound lanes, then told York Region Police that he would blow himself up when the next tanker truck drove by.

Police then closed the highway in both directions between Highway 9 and Major Mackenzie Drive.

The man sat in his car, which was loaded with propane tanks lashed together with duct tape, for more than three hours. He surrendered to police after they used a remote-controlled robot to communicate with him.

All northbound lanes of the highway were reopened around 2:15 a.m., and the southbound lanes were reopened around 3:45 a.m.