Thoughts and Opinions On Today's Important Issues

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mail Call


I missed the note that you were going to send but did not. I am sure that a lot of your fellow readers would like to know what you think about the issues:

1) Ed, did you get the one by Hydro One to install a thermostat in your house so that they could turn your AC up or down, ha,

I sent it back and said that while they were at it, include my TVs as I watch too much, I also Asked them to put a notice light on the controller so that I would know enough to smile when I Went by for the small camera they installed !!!

1984, just a little late.

Anyone I spoke to threw the request in the round basket !!!

2) Just got my second bill. $4.06 worth of water used but $76.00 bill! So why the effort to conserve when it doesn't really bring down the overall cost of the bill? I would rather pay $1.50/CM and less of the various charges that I can't control and maybe then we can see some conservation.

3)Bridge Open House

It struck me like being at a good restaurant. More than once, again as I was leaving the building, I was asked questions by Bridge employees if I was favorably impressed with the display. I was, so each time they seemed to brighten a bit. I gather this PR job is considered extremely important by the Company.

I saw Susan Whelan interacting with a group looking at a model of the Plaza and Indian Road enhancements. Another woman saw me watching and quickly came to explain details to me. I remarked that the new bridge reminds me a lot of the new bridge over the Dneiper River in Kiev. These people know bridges! She immediately asked if I was Ukrainian. Explaining no, that I had been there because of my wife's relatives she told me she has seen and travelled over the very bridge I was talking about.

All of the other presenters were very capable and personable. I left favorably disposed to their presentation. As one of the men said, the meals and sleeping arrangements alone for the construction crews will lift the Windsor economy let alone the supplying of material and maybe some local hires for those qualified.

Hope they get it done.

4) Ed my friend ..... it is obvious to me sitting at my desk that Windsor no longer has a Mayor or even a local Government.

The bridge rightfully is proceeding with their initiative since they could not get anywhere with City hall. Tony Toldo call a meeting of movers and shakers and nobody from local Government is invited and nobody from the Development Commission.

Interesting since the topic for the day was economic development in Windsor. Why not invite these people .... well all they do is try to make sure nothing happens so why would you invite them?

Did you know that we have a new Mayor in Windsor .......... hooray ......... his name is Toldo. Not sure whether it is senior or junior but they are the shadow Mayor(s) and they are running the local Government. This is what these other inept politicians don't understand. They were elected to serve the people. They do not want to do this instead they prefer to play their silly games. So the citizens of Windsor do the right thing, they ignore the inept politicians and do what's right for Windsor. Three cheers for the Ambassador Bridge and the Toldo's.

5) I have some experience with Mexican workers and I have been impressed with their industriousness and general integrity. As you know I spend more time at the racetrack than most people since I am involved with horseracing in my area. The backside (the barns) of the track are staffed largely by Latinos and most of them are Mexicans. They show up on time and do their work well for minimum wages.

My son is an attorney in several outlying counties where Mexican immigrants chose to live. His experience is that Mexicans, more than most other immigrants, can be trusted to show up when they must and to pay their bills.

My stepdaughter is based (with her husband who runs a major plant) in Guadalajara. My wife and I have both spent significant time there and I have observed that, while the standards for 100% perfection on a job are a bit lower than we have in many jobs here, nevertheless, the workers are on the job and the job gets done. The "mas o menos' attitude is reflective of a slower life style and not a shirking of duty in my judgment.

They make a good contribution to a community.

6) Re: Is there good news for Windsor...one of your best

7) I read the article Gord wrote about that meeting. My hope is they can and would be able to bring more development to the city and area.

This is not a concern. These business people know how to get things done.

The stick in the mud is the city. Like you stated Ed, they can't even get a garage built. Local government and even the province is powerless to stop the job loss around here.

Let's let the people who know how, do what they do best. Invest in the community without petty hindrences.Action on all levels and from everyone is required.
Mr. Mayor and council, that includes the Bridge. Way too many years and funds have been wasted.

Get over it.

8) Good morning Ed.
So much for tourism in Windsor.

Eddie is once again side shifting the forum. Yell about something insignificant and the people will forget last week. Usual typical politics.

Besides he is really po'd because they used the bridge.

9)Hi Ed.. ... I recently retired from the Meteorological Service of Canada
(Environment Canada). I can assure you that weather in London and in Windsor is very dissimilar. Stating that London weather is representative of Windsor weather is like saying ....so is Toronto's and Peterborough's... the prime winds in the northern hemishere blow from west to east... we all learned that in grade 5 climatology.

London's weather is affected by both Lake Huron and Lake Erie and the "lake effect" winds are much different than that of Windsor. London has the notoriety of being the
thunderstorm capital of Canada because of "lake effect" ... bet you always thought that Windsor had the most thunderstorms in Canada! Windsor may be more humid and possibly hotter in the summer thus more "smog days" than London and this is a more critical factor that prevailing winds. The pollution concerns of ozone and nitrous oxides and particulate matter abound on "smog days" and are again much different than what is happening in London.

The Ministry of the Environment (provincial agency) are responsible for monitoring air quality wherein Environment Canada monitors the weather per se and issues forecasts and warnings. Environment Canada receives hourly observations from the Windsor Airport provided by a private contractor. London, on the other hand sends it's weather data from automatic sensors at the London airport which are very much prone to error. The Ministry of the Environment run by the province does monitor wind, temperature, dew points and air quality from several locations across Windsor both downtown and the west end. It would only make common sense that who/whomever was responsible for doing their due dilligence regarding weather would use this (MOE) information instead of simply stating "London's weather is representative of southwestern Ontario."

using London data would be showing less critical concerns for pollution (better air quality) than using Windsor data.... again because of the high number of "smog days" Windsor experiences than London. It certainly would cause one to question why
Windsor data was not used in the Greenlink study.

10)
1) Transit Insurance
Make business pay $10k each for transit service.
Make it a quick death for business instead of a slow one.
2) The Barn is a Heritage site. It can't be torn down without an act of Parliament. (In Windsor's case an act of Eddie and the legal beagles)
3) Tunnel Bus - Use the Bridge due to lower rates and better management. Better view too.
4) Mexican refugees. Open an authentic Mexican plaza and have the Feds fund it. Include a restaurant.
5) Get Eddie and the council better batteries for their blackberries. The ones they have seem to be selective when it comes to community projects. That way they can attend the bridge's open house. I thought that first hand info was always credible against second hand to third with a little prejudice inserted. Oh I forgot; the bridge wants to spend money, create jobs, and ENHANCE the area. Current council wants to wait, and for what I have no idea. Elected officials come and go but the bridge will be there and will continue on.

Imagine if the Mayor worked with someone, anyone??
6) Consistencey. Never heard that word to describe council. The proper term is prevailing winds. Decisions change with the wind and air pressure. But don't use Windsor as a model. Use London. They are more consistent.

Is the WUC issue dead or has something else taken its place?

That's my rant.