I trust that you had a great holiday!
I gave you a day of grace. Now that you have been back at work for a day and are all caught up, it's time that you started reading my BLOG each morning again. Can you think of a better way to start your day?
- The border will still be an important election issue but amalgamation of the City and County will become a major topic
- The City will be hit by a huge scandal-----I was a few months early on this one
- The relationship between the Mayor and Councillors and amongst Councillors themselves will deteriorate badly, finally coming out into the open
- Eddie Francis will be a one term Mayor IF any credible candidate runs against him, a big IF right now-----Bill Marra could have been Mayor today, easily, especially after Project Ice Track announced its move to Tecumseh.
- Bill Marra will decide early in the year if he will run for Mayor or Ward 4 Councillor or at all
- If Bill runs for Mayor, Eddie will desperately seek someone else to run to split the vote so he can sneak in.
- There will be big surprises in Wards 1, 4 and 5.
- The Raceway arena will effectively be dead and gone early in the year. ---but who could have predicted to Tecumseh instead!
- St. Clair College will pull out of the Cleary deal since the price will be too expensive but will still relocate downtown, perhaps in a joint deal with the University---the College is having serious concerns about moving forward and I hear some within the College wonder if it was all a huge financial mistake that should not be allowed to proceed..
- The Mayor of Detroit will rebuff Eddie's entreaties over the Tunnel
- Sam Schwartz will appear back in Windsor to make a new presentation on the border and soon thereafter close his office here.
- No one will care what the City says on the border issue
- The Americans will force the ending of DRIC---not quite, yet, but the Michigan Legislators' actions have made all Governments rethink their position
- Governor Granholm and Mayor Kilpatrick will announce a major initiative with the Bridge Co. to redevelop SouthWest Detroit---premature by a year or so
- In Windsor, the Mayor's Office will continue to churn out press releases like the one saying "Windsor‘s Economy is Shifting into High Gear" rather than actually doing something.
- The Bridge Co. will start building their 200 booth "intermediate" border crossing project---a few months too early
- The DRIC road to the border will be started by the Senior Levels as part of a "jobs" and economic redevelopment program for Windsor since hundreds of people will have to be employed to build it---wait for the Federal and Provincial elections to see this happen in spite of Eddie and Council
- The two floors in Canderel will finally be rented out but at a huge discount and there will be vacancies in the Income and Security Building that will be filled by more City workers being moved over
- Some new financial surprises will come out that will cost taxpayers dearly resulting in a lowering of Windsor's bond rating.---just wait until the bond rating services understand Windsor's real fiscal picture and understand what our new Canderel, the East end arena, will really cost us
- The Windsor Star will face serious challenges this year resulting in significant changes.
As for my 2007 predictions..........more of the same I am afraid. The only big news will be if Eddie decides to run for the Tories provincially.