Thoughts and Opinions On Today's Important Issues

Monday, October 02, 2006

Arena Judicial Inquiry Demanded

Here is what I wrote to Councillor Valentinis and his colleagues

Dear Councillor Valentinis,

I read your shocking remarks quoted in the Windsor Star today.

Ward 3 Coun. Fulvio Valentinis

"said he believes there is a larger plan at play that hasn't been made public.

"The best way to put it is it was a very well-orchestrated charade," Valentinis said. "There is no question there is a much bigger agenda here. The part that is most disturbing is this could not have been done, would not have been done, without the co-operation of provincial cabinet ministers. I am extremely disappointed."

He didn't elaborate on what that larger agenda might be.

"I would start with asking members of provincial parliament that question," Valentinis said. "It is very suspicious. Why would you do this four days before the meeting? We were used, there is no other way to put it. No other spin-doctoring is going to change that."

What you are suggesting is that there has been impropriety, including at the highest levels in the Province.

As you may know, I wrote a BLOG on city politics in Windsor http://windsorcityon.blogspot.com/ . Accordingly, if the City has nothing to hide and there was a "very well-orchestrated charade" by third parties, would you please arrange for me to view all of the City files involving the arena and the Spitfires forthwith so that I might write a BLOG about my investigations. As you know, I can file a Municipal Freedom of Information application to obtain the files but I would not get them until long after a City decision has been made.

However, your charges are most serious considering the huge amounts of money involved. I regret that you did not "elaborate on what that larger agenda might be" since that may suggest to taxpayers that something illegal has gone on. The air must be cleared forthwith.

Accordingly, on behalf of City taxpayers, I seek your support and that of your colleagues for a Motion that I intend to raise when I speak at the Special Council meeting on the 4th for a Judicial Investigation under the provisions of Section 274 of Ontario Municipal Act.

Since the City has clearly nothing to hide, I trust that you will be the one who introduces that Motion officially at Council and that your colleagues will support it unanimously!

I am very troubled by what is going on and what impact it will have.. First the Mayor threatens to sue the Province over the border and now you allege improper actions by provincial cabinet members. You better be right. Or else, you will know why no one listens to Windsor! These actions have the potential to chase away new investments from this area. What business would want to come here now with this turmoil!